FORWARD is organising a one day OCN accredited training to increase knowledge, awareness and understanding for professionals on the practice of FGM.
This will help strengthen competency and skills when dealing with cases of FGM and enable multi-agency cooperation in relation to safeguarding and support services for those women and girls affected. The training is aimed at GPs, Midwives, Nurses, Social Workers and key staff at any agency involved in treating or supporting women and girls affected by FGM.
FORWARD (Foundation for Women’s Health Research and Development) is an African Diaspora campaign and support charity dedicated to advancing and safeguarding the sexual and reproductive health and rights of African women and girls. Over the last 30 years FORWARD has been the leading organisation working to end Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) in the UK.
- Better understanding of the practice of FGM and the social and cultural context in UK
- Increased knowledge of the UK law, safeguarding policies and procedures
- Greater insight into the provision of appropriate care and support for women and girls affected by FGM
- Increased awareness of the role of statutory agencies and key professionals in responding to FGM
- Better understanding of practical issues and strategies for working with individuals, communities and stakeholders to respond to FGM
- Development of action plans for responding to FGM in specific settings