Event Date and time: Wednesday 15th March 2017 | 10:00 – 15:00
Venue details: The Library, Royal Society of Chemistry, Burlington House | London W1J 0BA
Organisers: The Planet Earth Institute (PEI)
Event website: The Future of Agriculture in Africa: A PEI Spotlight Seminar
Event cost: Free
Agriculture is at the heart of African development. It employs more than 65% of the continents’ populations and contributes more than 32% GDP to its economies. Yet there remain real challenges: Africa has 65% of the world’s uncultivated land, but spends some US$35billion importing its food. The continent’s smallholder farmers, who comprise the majority of its labour forces, also face problems from plant disease to poor pricing information.
Whilst there are a great many challenges, there are also a great many opportunities, and science and technology must be at the heart of addressing and capitalising on both. Bringing together world-leading speakers from across business, academia and policy, the Planet Earth Institute will be shining a light on those individuals, research groups, academic institutions and commercial organisations making scientific and technological advancements that are of benefit not just to Africa but also to the world.
The PEI Spotlight Seminar is part of the PEI Partners Forum – a membership platform through which the PEI provides businesses and other organisations with an engaging and valuable platform to collaborate, promote their work and explore key issues related to scientific, technological and commercial development on the continent.
Join PEI for a day of high-level presentations, panel discussions and Q&A sessions as they explore defining issues impacting farmers today and highlight the innovations that will come to define the future of agriculture in Africa.
- Tegan Palmer, mAgri Business Intelligence Manager, GSMA
- Marie Haga- Executive Director, The Crop Trust
- Daniel Hull- CEO, AgDevCo
- Dr Stuart Gillespie- Senior Research Fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute, and CEO, Transform Nutrition
- Nico Mounard- CEO, Farm Africa
- Dr Gideon Onumah- Agricultural Economist, Natural Resources Institute, University of Greenwich
- Dr Robert Mwanga- Sweet Potato Breeder, International Potato Centre, and Winner of the 2016 World Food Prize
- Perez Ochieng- CEO, Sacoma
- Dr Julius Akinyemi- Entrepreneur-in-Residence, MIT Media Lab and Founder, UWIN Corp