Event Date and time: Thursday 29th June, 2017 | 18:00 – 21:00
Venue details: Lloyds TSB | 25 Gresham Street | EC2V 7HN London United Kingdom
Organisers: Smiling Through Light
Event website: Beam Talk
Event cost: £10
Are you interested in learning about Sierra Leone, the community in the UK and looking to get inspiration? If so, you need to be at #BeamTalks on the 29/06/2017.
In 1991 a brutal civil war broke out in Sierra Leone, a country on the west coast of Africa. Since the war the narratives around the country has always been negative and often linked to the civil war, blood diamonds, child soldiers, amputations, sex slaves and the recent Ebola epidemic. The war left an indelible mark in our hearts and minds. Just as in other conflict regions, women in Sierra Leone bore the brunt of the atrocities committed. All the positive work amongst the community in the diaspora are often not spoken about or highlighted. Beam Talks is creating a platform in the UK to change this and share inspiring stories.
Beam Talks is Smiling Through Light’s UK initiative which showcases the diverse career routes taken by Sierra Leonean women living in the UK. The event will provides a space where role models can discuss their achievements, experiences and challenges with a new generation of change-makers.
The discussion will cover:
- Mindset for success in challenging times.
- Achievements, experiences and challenges with a new generation of change-makers.
- Contributions of the Sierra Leonean community in the UK.
- Update on Smiling Through Light’s activities – access to clean energy in Sierra Leone.
Confirmed Speakers List:
- Mariama Kamara, Founder & Director, Smiling Through Light
- Muriel Lamin, Head of Commercial & Operations, BBC
- Lyande Kaikai, Director, My African Passport
- Siana Bangura, Freelance, Writer/Publisher & Producer
Who should attend:
- Senior officials from African government bodies
- Renewable Energy companies
- Members of the African Diaspora